Experiencing borderline personality disorder is very annoying. This condition can happen to anyone young and adult alike. That is why it is necessary to know about coping with borderline personality disorder. In this way, loved ones can have the chance to overcome the manipulative environment that affects the house rules. This is very important especially to parents of children with borderline personality disorder because people with personality disorder usually exploit the weakness of other people.
Key tips in coping with borderline personality disorder
- Recognise the symptoms of the personality disorder. Apparently, a person with personality disorder is physically combatant as it is his or her way of calling emergency services.
- Never give them the chance to defeat you verbally as they would wage verbal war. Keep in mind that most of them are good in manipulating language that is why they can easily engage in verbal wrestling.
- Disengage in heated debate. Coping with borderline personality disorder requires a strategy of surrendering your control in a situation that would lead to heated debate. You can allow your child to manipulate your emotions but never allow him or her to interrogate you further.
- Expect sudden changes in mood, especially in times of heated debate. Nevertheless, a person with a personality disorder also shows shyness by shifting emotions when there is a visitor. This is his or her way of deceiving other people about his or her personality as he or she has the ability to change emotions just like a chameleon changing colours.
- Ignore personal attacks in case that a person with BPD does not believe on what you are saying. This is one way of coping with borderline personality disorder by cutting your authority to enforce negotiation. This strategy is tactical in nature.
- Separate other family members in case a person with personality disorder is screaming. As much as possible you should take him or her out so that other children or family member will not witness his or her acts.
As with any mental health condition, do consult a specialist in case of persistent tantrums in order to rule out the possible hormonal imbalance. Hormonal therapy can help in improving extreme mood swings. However, it is important to let the person know that you will take him or her to a health professional. While this is not always possible it should always be your end goal.